Friday, April 24, 2009

John Williams (composer)

Just a little post about John Williams - the composer, not my high school principal.

I was watching the Star Wars movies and had decided that, next to Philip Glass, whoever composed the soundtrack would probably be one of my favorite composers. The music also reminded me of the soundtrack for the Jurassic Park movies and Hook. (Sorry if I'm a 12 year old boy in my selection of movies, but I love dinosaurs, pirates, and space stuff.) Yesterday, Marsha hummed a bar or two from the Harry Potter soundtrack (which I am not at all familiar with, since I only saw one of the movies and it was over two years ago and on television when I was trying to do homework) and I thought she was humming something from Hook, so I asked her and she said, no it was from Harry Potter.

So I just wiki searched "Star Wars composer" and the result was John Williams. Turns out, my ear wasn't far off... (I apologize to all of you who keep up with movie trivia, but I'm terrible at it) he composed the music for all of the Star Wars movies, the Jurassic Park movies, Hook and Harry Potter!

Not only that, but he has also done some other amazing works, such as Fiddler on the Roof, Jaws, E.T., the Indiana Jones movies, the Home Alone movies, Schindler's List, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot, Superman, A.I., Catch Me if You Can, and War of the Worlds. And I loved the music in all of them, without knowing it was composed by the same man. I feel like everyone else in the world already knew this and I somehow missed out, because I can't remember names of lead actors in shows, let alone who wrote the score.

We even sang a song from Amistad in high school.

Wow...


So yes, props to Mr. Williams on his amazing talent.

peace.

4 comments:

Daniela said...

that's ok, I've never even heard of this composer. I basically live under a rock, haha

Shelley Renee said...

Bahah! I don't know anything about composers for Movies so props to you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us current Krysta!

Hannah said...

Haha. See, if you had been in band in middle/high school, then you would have played so much John Williams. I can't count the number of Williams medlies we played. Not only is his music awesome, it's actually really fun to play.