Saturday, March 28, 2009

in a box beneath my bed is a letter that you never read

Today is over.
Finished.
Finally.

Last night, I couldn't get to sleep for a while, again. I think stress has been keeping me awake at night. Tonight I'm up only because of frustration.

This morning I was up bright and early and when I say bright, I mean bright! Daylight savings time is this weekend (I'm pretty sure) in Sweden, so not only will I go back to having 6 hours of time difference from home (it's been a mere 5 hours difference since the US had their early DST), but also it won't be so darn bright in the early morning. Maybe I was getting used to the sun rising later in the morning and setting mid-afternoon. While the building behind Sommarstaden glows like the sun with its tan coloring, I'm just glad that I'm not on the other side of the hall, where the sun actually rises in their faces. Not gonna lie - I'm kind of scared of how my body will react to the really really early sunrise come May/June. The sun rising at insanely early hours and setting late, late at night is not something I have ever experienced. I've told the girls visiting me to bring sleep masks, not just for the plane, but because it's the only way to sleep past 7 am in my room.
Anyhow, I woke up early and went to the printers to get my book. I met Marsha who was only 11 minutes late for our scheduled meeting (which was amazing, considering that she has a tendency to be late to everything) and we got our books. They didn't look bad. We headed straight to class and had a few minutes to spare in a classroom with GUITARS and PIANOS. You have no idea how amazing that was, especially after our teacher told us that we are allowed to play them (which I had been doing anyway). Presentations took from a quarter past 9 until just after noon. From noon we had an hour to grab a quick lunch before heading to a course evaluation meeting. For lunch, I had falafel for the first time. I think I'll try it again before commenting on it, because the first time might have been not-so-good just that one time (based on advice from Melanie Mangum).
During the evaluation, it seemed that our instructors didn't really want us to give feedback or suggestions for improvements. They spent most of the time justifying why they taught the way they did. Pointless, for the most part. Maybe the written evaluations that we had to fill out will be more useful.
At 2 we had a guest lecturer, who I thought was very interesting, since I'm an American and all. She talked to us for about an hour about literature written from 1970 to 2005 about the Jewish migration from Eastern Europe to America (mostly Lower East side NY) during the 1881-1924 period. A point that really hit home was when she mentioned that most of the books were written by 3rd generation Americans who were in search of their ancestral roots and family history. As a 3rd generation American on my mom's side, I am fascinated about learning more about my family's roots in Holland and I really want to visit the Netherlands to see what my grandfather (whom I never met) spent some of his life with.
It took me forever to get home, I might as well have walked my bike. I'm still seriously the slowest cyclist in southern Sweden, plus I was tired. When I got home I just remember trying to stay awake for a few hours and then sleeping from 7 until 9. I'm also in the process of listening to Frankenstein, so I needed a break from that. Most of the recordings have been good, but this one lady who narrated chapters 11, 12, and 13 keep messing up and having to repeat sentences and what really bothered me was when she said "cursed wench" instead of "cursed wretch" ... I don't even have the text, but it was a man talking about himself... I doubt he would call himself a wench, as that's feminine.
Later, I went to Austrian Christina's Mexican themed birthday party. It was alright. I'm glad it was in Sommarstaden. But there was plenty of drama (Shaniece helped calm some of it at the beginning) and I'm exhausted again.

That was my day (in a nutshell, kind of).

[Reminder to myself: movies that you have to watch again - Hook, Finding Neverland, and "FR"]

I'm debating going to bed now or waiting a while to see the end of the game. There are still 14 minutes left in the game, but that could be forever.

Looks like bed is winning this debate...
peace.

1 comment:

Shelley Renee said...

When I was in Paris over the summer, the sun set around 11 and rose at around 5 in the morning. It was really weird.