Tuesday, February 17, 2009

the hard road

For one of my classes, I had to write a memoir of some sort, so I decided to write it on ASP, which has been one of the most influential parts of my life as I've grown up. It took me a little over an hour, but I finally finished with six pages, however I do not feel I can share all of my stories on this blog.
I would like, however, to mention a passage that I don't think I came up with on my own. The title of my piece is called The Hard Road: Stories from Appalachia and this is my favorite part, prior to editing:

Maybe that was what made us so different. Not that she referred to the paved road as “the hard road” but that she was on “the hard road.” She was too young to be a mother [...] she didn’t have financial stability, and they were trying to keep from losing everything. Who knew if the next rain, running down the mountainside, would literally wash away their house? Who knew if they would get their plumbing and kitchen floor fixed, so the dishes that lay stagnant in the bathtub could be washed once again in the sink? At the end of the week, we would pack up our vans and sleep on the way home to our sleep number beds and multicar garages. At the end of the week, they would have to figure out how much food they could afford and prepare for another group of strangers to enter the most intimate parts of their lives.


Well, it's awfully late here, so I'm going to bed. More later!

peace.

No comments: