Friday, February 6, 2009

fried chicken

I forgot to share the story of Southern Kitchen Cafe. This is a little "mom & pop" place, as we would say in the States. I went to SKC with Marsha, Shaniece, Marine, and Louise. Marine and Louise had never had fried chicken before, so that was a fun and new experience. The meal was just over $7 US and came with a glass bottle of Coca-Cola, fried chicken, "garlic" mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob. The chicken was ok. However, I've decided to attempt frying my own at home. The potatoes were disgusting. They had what appeared to be some kind of curry gravy on them and they tasted more like cold sweet potatoes, but I still ate them, since I was hungry. The corn on the cob was so small, maybe 1/4 of the ear, but it was delicious. I attempted to get coffee, but couldn't figure out to pour the coffee from the pot. That was probably a good thing, as I'm sure the coffee had been there for hours.
When we were paying, I saw a small advertisement for Gray's American Store (which I have yet to locate). So I asked the guy at the register where the store was and he asked if I was Swedish. Obviously, I'm not, so I said no... I'm American and he brightened up and explained for a good 5 minutes how to get to the store. After that time I know this much - it's near Gustav Adolfs Torg and there is a canal there (which I already knew). Oh, and they have marshmallows. Thanks creepy guy.
I've decided that within 24 hours of getting home I will eat at dark chicken snack with hush puppies instead of fries at Smithfield's Chicken and Barbeque.
That's all.
Peace.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I clicked on the Southern Fried link... not very appealing picture.